Dear Avalanche Families:
We understand that teams may be interested in planning off-ice activities (dry land, video session, other team activity). The North Shore Female Ice Hockey Association (Avalanche) does not encourage off-ice team activities or events at this time. Team officials should limit off-ice activities. If deemed necessary, off-ice activities should be kept small and physical distancing should be practised. Before you schedule an off-ice activity this hockey season, please do the following:
- Considering whether the off ice activity is necessary at this time – avoid unnecessary social events or gatherings
- Plan to limit necessary off-ice activities to the team, including players, coaches, essential volunteers (not siblings, parents/guardians, grandparents, etc.)
- Communicate to participants that there is to be absolutely no shared food or drinks
- Identify the person(s) responsible for ensuring physical distancing (6 feet)
- Determine how you will ensure proper hand hygiene
- Provide hand sanitizer
- Ensure participants wash/sanitize hands before and after the event
- Plan to record who attends the event
- Determine how you will implement the required health check for team activities
- Consider the comfort level of all players, parents/guardians, coaches and volunteers
- Be flexible/creative and be sure to let all players and parents/guardians know that in person participation in off-ice team activities is not required at this time
It is important that teams follow public health guidelines when representing the Avalanche in the community. The following links include resources and details on public health guidelines and orders. Please consult this information to determine whether certain off-ice activities are necessary in a pandemic year and plan accordingly.
Even in a non-pandemic year, team officials need to be mindful of Hockey Canada insurance questions and must refer to the Special Event Sanction Request Form to determine whether a request for “special event” sanctioning through BC Hockey is required.
Avalanche Risk Manager